To begin your day feeling grounded, supported by the Universe, and happy with life and your body — I recommend Golden Milk, the Magic Elixir for Health: Mind, Body, & Spirit.
Having recently left my beloved morning coffee ritual behind in preparation for a few months of cleansing and Spiritual training, this magic morning elixir has me singing a joyful tune. IN-JOY!
There are a myriad of variations as to how to make Golden Milk, an ancient medicinal "tea" for health and healing, but these are the necessary components you need to have in order to receive the full health benefits of the medicine that is Golden Milk:
Black Pepper (a small amount)
A bit of fat for absorption (in this case coconut oil— a healthy plant based fat)
Here is my favorite way to make Golden Milk, I make it fresh each morning as part of my grounding and centering self care ritual, and I never have left overs. Wink.
- 1 1/2 cups- 2 cups Coconut Milk— unsweetened vanilla flavor (in the carton)
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper (or just a pinch of finely ground black pepper for less spice)
- Sweetener of choice to taste : honey, or maple syrup, or coconut sugar *please do yourself a favor and only use natural sweeteners in your Golden Milk, stay away from any kind of processed and refined sugar, or even things like Stevia or Agave that are also highly processed*
- 1/2- 1 Tbsp coconut oil — adding this extra amount of fat helps with absorption of all the healthy benefits from the spices, plus drinking this in the morning helps to satiate the body's hunger response allowing for proper brain function and helping to curb your appetite first thing upon waking
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2- 1 tsp Vanilla extract — important that it is real vanilla extract (Not necessary if you are using Coconut Milk with Vanilla already included!)
- Almond milk or other non-dairy vegan milk or nut milks can be substituted for Coconut milk *but coconut milk really is the best*
I purchase organic spices and turmeric in bulk at my local co-op because I'm pretty much in love with turmeric's natural grounding properties and the way it makes me feel in my body and at a deeper level, my Spirit.
When purchasing turmeric, look for a brand that is organic, non-irradiated, and contains curcumin (the brand will often specify a percentage).
I pour my coconut milk into a clear glass two cup measuring container and whisk in all my measured spices minus the sweetener, before adding it to the saucepan for heating. I find it helpful in making the right measurements and adjustments for liquid and spices. But this does involve an extra step, so you can go straight to the saucepan.
- In a small saucepan, add coconut milk, turmeric, black pepper, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, & coconut oil
- Whisk to combine and warm over medium heat. Heat until hot — but not boiling — I watch for steam to come from the surface of the liquid— less than four minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Before pouring into cups, whisk swiftly until frothy and fully mixed.
- After pouring into individual serving cup, add sweetener of choice. (I usually add a teaspoon of honey, but with fall, a tablespoon of maple syrup seems to bring me more enjoyment for the season)... Add more turmeric, cardamom, or ginger for intense spice and flavor.
- Serve immediately. Best when fresh, though leftovers can be stored covered in the refrigerator for 2—3 days. Reheat on the stovetop *do not microwave*.
This wonderful happy beverage actually maximizes the natural antioxidant power of turmeric because it is one hot and two combined with other beneficial spices like ginger, cinnamon, and cardamom, and a little bit of healthy plant based fat.
Turmeric’s health benefits such as anti-inflammatory response and aiding in digestion are due to a special compound called curcumin.
Curcumin is believed to halt an enzyme that may be responsible for turning environmental toxins in to carcinogens in the body. Curcumin also improvse digestion of fats and sugars and help alleviate inflammation in the digestive system.
According to principles of Ayurveda indigestion leads to production of “ama” – a sticky toxin which blocks microchannels of the body and slows down metabolism adding to weight gain. Cardamom helps to digest “ama” and clears the blockages. Since it possess the quality “laghu” or lightness, it helps to increase the rate of metabolism just like a supply of air increases intensity of fire.
Golden Milk is a magic elixir of spices that not only aids in digestion, but helps with weight loss & metabolism, reduces inflammation in the intestines and tissues, creating more vibrant and healthy skin, and helps with overall health and wellness on many levels.
For me, it makes me feel grounded in Spirit and good in my body on a daily basis, and this makes me happy.
I would love to hear from you! Please share with me in the comments below, how Golden Milk, has helped you in Body, Mind, Health and Spirit.
Research has proven that turmeric and curcumin have the abilities to:
- Help improve the memory of individuals in the early stages of diabetes and those at risk for cognitive damage.
- Reduce free radical damage to cells and tissues thanks to potent antioxidants.
- Reduce symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis as well as numerous other inflammatory joint conditions.
- Support healthy cholesterol levels and prevent low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol oxidation.
- Positively modulate more than 160 different physiological pathways.
- Improve liver function.
- Protect against heavy metal damage.
- Inhibit and prevent certain types of cancer, including pancreatic, breast, and colon cancer.
- Reduce the degenerative symptoms associated with Alzheimer’s disease.
Turmeric is also a source of numerous vitamins and minerals including manganese, iron, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, copper, calcium, B vitamins, and vitamin C, E, and K.
Source: Organic Authority